Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wausau Yard Is Finished!

Thanks to BLW and an amazingly fast USPS, the switches I needed to complete Wausau yard arrived Friday. Here are a couple of photos of the completed yard:


The north end of the top four tracks ended up with a weird S-curve in them, but it seemed to work best, and cars are running smoothly through the turnouts. In fact, I was surprised at how well cars go through the yard ladder, even at higher speeds than I would ever run a train.

The only trackwork left in this entire area is to extend Kelly siding through the wall. In the picture above, the siding at the far left with the three white cars on it represents Kraft Foods. George made me realize that there was really only one choice for what kind of cars would service Kraft. Here's a close-up of one of the cars:

They're called Cryo-Trans reefers and each one has the name of a city or place on its door. CRYX 1022, the car above is the "Columbia River." These have always interested me, and several friends and I have recorded the names we saw on CRYX for many years.

This is the end of a major phase of the layout and I'm going to have to take a break from tracklaying for a while. Midterms and other work projects are fast approaching and so you won't see a lot of new track updates in the next few weeks. Not to worry, though. I am going to update weekly with pictures of some of my favorite trains on my developing layout. For fun, I got out several trains and filled the yard with them today. Details on many of the trains you can see below will be coming in the next few weeks. Until the next update. . . 




No comments:

Post a Comment